Saturday 27 September 2008

Campaigning in Markinch

Having come back from Brussels yesterday I spent the day back up in Markinch helping the Glenrothes by-election team. The rooms were a hive of activity and I was promptly sent out with group to canvass at the back of Markinch.

It was interesting to hear the varied views on the doorsteps with a couple of folk telling me how much they see the SNP as Scotland's party and one of the best things the SNP government has done was to get rid of the tolls on the Forth Bridge and how this had been seen over the years as an unfair tax on the people of Fife and their local economy.

The thing that still encourages me is the extent to which people do want to talk to you on the doorstep and the opportunity for me to be able to get out from behind my desk in Brussels and be back at home talking with folk is something which I enjoy immensely.

All in all I think it was a good day's worth of canvassing as I headed back to Lanark via Edinburgh.

No comments: